Tuesday, October 26, 2010

Beach Town Babes!

While in Bariloche we werent quite sure as to where our journey would take us next, but as I mentioned before Juan recommended a wonderful little beach town in Eastern Argentina called Puerto Madryn where lots of whales and penguins could be seen. Both of us being down with lots of whales and penguins agreed that this could be a gnarly spot to see!
      After a long bus ride, I am loosing track of the hours spent on buses these days, we arrived in the early morning to Puerto Madryn.  We hadnt booked a hostel and were unsure whether or not we could camp anywhere near so we searched the hot spot for tourits at the omnibus terminal and found a flyer for El Gaulicho!! sounded promising so we set foot to the centro of Puerto Madryn, the flyer had a mini map on the back side which we thought could navigate us quite well seeing as though  the city seemed to be structured on a grid lock pattern... but it was rather unhelpful, and an older lady with few and far from having teeth pointed us in the right direction! Thank you teethless lady!! We managed to find the hostel within a matter of ten minutes.  Although check in wasnt until noon and it was roughly 7:30 we made ourselves at home, set our stuff down and chowed down on lots of free breakfast, we try and stuff ourselves with all the free breakfasts we can get at these hostels. 
     The day seemed as though it was going to be rather beautiful so instead of waiting around until noon to change clothes, brush our teeth, and get all dolled up for the day we hit the beach mucho early!! I think the image of beach we had dreamed up in our heads was entirely different from the beach at which we were faced with.  Yet, we couldnt complain it was a beach, with lots of brown nasty seaweed and pooping stray dogs every, later we found we had to walk a ways to get away from these little beach treasures. And so we walked, for a while and once we were tired of walking (we were aiming to reach some crazy cliffs, although we could see them from where we decided to sit our seats, they didnt look to entirely crazy) we sat and shell searched! YAY! we totes found awesome shells and have wonderful plans for these shells.  I think we got way to into shell searching, but personally I dont think you really can get way to in to shell searching. I would say we shell searched for hours, or so it felt like hours. this is a random side not but trying to say and type (because I find that I often speak outloud what I type) shell searched repeatedly was mildly difficult. ANYWHO! back to business, so yes shell shearching (I think it sounds better with the H added to searching...ok for real I am done) for hours entertained us, we are easily entertained... but it worked up a bit of an appetite.  We were planning on heading back to the hostel to cook up some rice and beans, but wanted to treat ourselves to some good seafood. We figured since we were at the ocean they best have some good eatin seafood! and boy we were right!! we found a restaurant that appeared promising as it advertised MARISCOS Y PESCADOS in a banner across the door, and luckily for us our waiter spoke some english and recommended a danky seafood platter. 
         We ate soo much seafood, no complaints though, it was indeed what we were searching for, and after seafood we got icee creaaamm nom nom nom!! haha that was tasty too, although the ice cream seemed a bit annoyed with me as I asked to see inside every barrel because I was unable to read the flavors... Dom got tiramisu (I think because it was the only similar ice cream flavor with similar spelling minus chocolate, but I could be mistaken...) and I got ha... chocolate, better safe then sorry right??  We walked back to the hostel while eating our ice creams and noticed that it was 1600 pm!! where had the day gone!?? It twas a great day in the sun and at the beach but we were both a bit tired and decided that we would have a chillaxx night in at the hostel... we settled into our room,whom we shared with four other men, and lounged around for a bit.  We find that we appreciate lounging around here in South America because we have had few and far opportunities to lounge around... you never realize how much you appreciate the things in life that seem menial while living every day life... like a sink!! Gosh all the times on this trip I wish I had access to a standard sink! I so appreciate my sink at home, and my couch, my fridge, my snuggie...well sort of heh. but on those long ass bus rides I wish I had my snuggie!! oh snuggie how I hope you are getting used well back at the apt.  ...
     SO, as I said, we took advantage of relaxation and how it felt oh so good... I then thought it was necessary, since we were having a nice evening in that we eat a salad!! All I have been wanting on this trip is a freaking salad and for some reason or another south americans really really like to eat lots and lots of MEAT (which I dont particularly enjoy) and starch... meat and starch meat and starch! just give me a freakin salad!! So I forced dominic to eat a wonderful salad for dinner that night, we went to the el supermarcado and bought every vegetable that I thought could make a yummy tasty salad and we got it, and it was the best salad that I can remember eating.  We also watched robin hood (the new one) which was tight.  And that was our fabulous day in Puerto Madryn!!
     We had been planning on staying several nights in the area and camping our on the Valdez Peninsula, but we encountered a minor bank scare the following morning.  We were going to rent a car with a girl from Colorado and drive to the peninsula, so we went to the bank to get some pesos..and well  the bank would not dispense us ANY pesos... Me being neurotic me, convinced Dom that the bank shut down his debit card because he hadnt informed them that he was leaving the country... so in a frenzy I sort of panicked but tried not to outwardly express it because I knew it was Sunday and no banks are open on Sundays and well WHAT WERE WE TO DO!! thankfully for the Iphone and Skype and the help of my father, we were able to get ahold of chase bank... thankfully they informed us that we must of been pushing wrong buttons on the ATM machine because they had not shut down the debit card and we had plenty of money to withdraw.  So we ventured back to the bank and well withdrew enough pesos to get us to Buenos Aires!! by this time it was to late to get to the peninsula (only two buses in the morning) and we didnt really feel like spending another night at the hostel... so the next best thing seemed to head north (again)!!  We spent the rest of the day at the beach until it was time to get it in gear and get it to the bus station!  We then caught a 20 hour bus ride to Buenos Aires... and to Buenos Aires we went, we did get lucky though and got tickets on the super duper nice bus with big leather seats!! So the 20 hours on the bus wasnt toooo bad... and here we are in Buenos Aires! Couch surfing at a man name Ariels house... yeeee

No comments:

Post a Comment